Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Soundtracks to My Life


“Wannabe” – Spice Girls. This song is a classic for when I was younger and always takes me back to the good old 90’s. When I was in second grade, flared jeans were the new thing and so I begged my mom to buy me a pair until she finally gave in. When we got home I tried them on and decided I wanted to dance around in them because I thought I was just so damn cool to finally have a pair and could not wait to wear them to school the next day. I was listening to this song blasting loud on my speakers when I thought it would be a brilliant idea to maneuver a cartwheel off my bed. I ended up landing in a weird position on my foot and broke the bone in the side of my foot in three places. Turns out it is the bone that takes the longest to heal in the body and I was in a bright pink walking cast for 3 and a half months. All thanks to Spice Girls, flared jeans, and my not so smart childhood decisions. Lesson learned.

“Can’t Buy Me Love” – The Beatles. Basically any Beatles song would work for this next story but I decided to just pick one. Not only do I love the Beatles music in general, but my 4th grade teacher takes credit for thoroughly making sure I appreciated their music. During class (all day, every day, for the whole year) my teacher, Mr. Rosenburg, played the same Beatles CD’s over and over. Thanks to him I have practically every one of their songs memorized and never get sick of listening to them.

“Emergency” – Paramore. This band has been one of my favorites for a long time. They were the first concert I ever went to and one of the first bands I downloaded when I got to the age where I started to appreciate music and expand into music that wasn’t on the radio. This song specifically was the one that got me interested with them in the first place. Sometimes I secretly wish I could dye my hair bright red like Hayley Williams because she can pull it off so well.

“Rumors” – Lindsay Lohan. I don’t actually like this song or Lindsay herself but I thought I’d include this because I’ve been told numerous times by people I know and by strangers that I look like her. Personally I don’t see it. Maybe sometimes with the freckles but other than that I don’t know. I’ve had laryngitis twice, and each time when I lost my voice it became this deeper raspy voice which people would tell me I sounded like her too. Maybe I should dye my hair red like Hayley Williams, then I might really look like Lindsay…

“Dirt Road Anthem” – Jason Aldean. I HAD to throw some country into my soundtrack. Country is definitely one of my favorite genres I listen to and is what I constantly listen to in the summer. This past summer I attended WE Fest in Detroit Lakes, MN which is a three-day music festival that features big names in the Country Music business. I’m extremely excited for WE Fest this next summer because Jason Aldean is going to be playing there and he is one of my top five country artists by far. The song I picked by him is another one of my favorites but it mostly reminds me about hanging out with my best friend Sarah back home. We always referred to this song as our summer/life anthem song. I can’t wait to see/hear it played live in August!

“Cheers (Drink to that)” – Rihanna. I just love this song in so many ways. Perfect song to get ready for going out. Can it please just be the weekend already? Or better yet... Winter break.

“A Drop in the Ocean” – Ron Pope. Since I have almost 4,500 songs on my iTunes it’s hard to pick out just a couple songs for this assignment. Whenever I download new songs I always tend to have a favorite and will listen to it over and over again until I download a new set and find a new favorite. Currently this is my new favorite and I tend to put it on repeat a lot. It also is a good representation for my love for acoustic music, which I find to be some of the best kind. I love hearing artists perform naturally, without any doctored up fancy instruments in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment